Wednesday, April 7, 2010

B.A. Gourmet VS Salmon Cakes

Gather 'round, Gourmet-niacs. Have I got a harrowing story of culinary heroics for you today!


I've been meaning to try a fish dish for some time now: nothing fancy or potentially deadly, but definitely something from the sea. In my constant search for inspiration, I came across a recipe for salmon cakes that intrigued me. It seemed easy enough, had a relatively short list of ingredients, and promised success. Even better, it called for pre-packaged salmon (a la cans or packets of tuna fish), so the entire ordeal would be more a matter of heating than cooking. It seemed foolproof.

And that is where our tale begins...

Ingredients:
24 Ounces of Pre-Packaged Salmon (Cans or Packets)
1/2 Cup of Scallions
5 Tablespoons of Mayonnaise
5 Tablespoons of Mustard
2 Tablespoons of Capers
Parsley

Steps/Analysis:
The recipe I consulted guaranteed that, even though there were no bread crumbs or other binding agents involved, the mayo and mustard would be more than enough to hold the moist fish together. It also advised cooking the cakes in the oven, but that seemed a little off to me. I didn't want to dry out the cakes and I also wanted a little bit of a crust on them, so I opted to take the whole operation to the stove top.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the fish, capers, and wet ingredients. Finely chop the scallions and parsley and add them to the mixture. Stir to thoroughly incorporate.

Set a large, heavy pan over Medium-High heat. Add just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan and allow it to heat up.

Using your hands, form patties from your fish mixture and carefully arrange them around the pan. Do not overcrowd the pan because you will need to flip them.

... and that's where the trouble arose: flipping. My salmon cakes were getting nice and brown on their bottoms, but would disintegrate as soon as I touched them with the spatula. I had been deceived! Very quickly, I had a pan full of half-cooked salmon salad that did not look particularly appetizing.

Sweat beaded on my forehead as I pondered my options: trash the failed cakes and order a pizza or improvise! Refusing to admit defeat so soon, I killed the heat and punched the reset button!


Additional Ingredients:
3-4 Eggs

Improvised Steps/Analysis:

I calmed myself down and spread the failed cakes out on a plate to cool. I carefully and slowly stirred them back into the cold mixture. This required 3 or 4 installments because I wanted to lower the temperature of the semi-cooked fish, not dramatically raise the temperature of the cold fish.

Then, I cracked three eggs into the bowl and went to town on it with my spoon. That seemed to be the correct amount for my purposes, but I think I could have easily added another egg for an even more cohesive end product.

If you're following along, I suggest you forget about using your hands to form the patties at this point. Instead, grab a large ice cream scoop. This will create a smaller, better proportioned salmon cake that will be easier to maneuver around the pan.

Scoop out four cakes into your reheated pan and resist the urge to flatten them out. The more height they have, initially at least, will help them firm up as the first side cooks. Don't worry, it'll become a serviceable patty when flipped.

On the subject of flipping, treat these salmon cakes like hamburgers: only flip them once! The less you move them, the better they will hold together. Cook each side for 2-5 minutes and remove to a platter. Repeat until the mixing bowl is empty.

Serving/Notes:
I ended up with about a dozen cakes (minus the one I ate during cooking for quality control purposes). They came out tender, flaky, and pretty tasty; in terms of flavor and texture, they were reminiscent of crab cakes. The mustard and capers give the fish a nice little zing that I appreciated. Slice up a little lemon to squeeze over top and enjoy.

I paired the entree with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables (of the instant and frozen varieties, respectively), which complemented the salmon cakes well.

Considering the abject terror I experienced during the cooking process, I was very happy with the meal. The recipe can only be easier to execute in the future.

0 comments:

Gourmet Counter