Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Nutella Pancakes

I suppose I've had a bit of a sweet tooth, lately. At least, it must seem that way from my most recent posts. From last week's dessert we transition nicely to today's breakfast with Nutella pancakes!

I'm pretty good with pancakes, I won't lie. Long ago, my mother taught me that you could flip a hamburger as many times as you want, but you only flip a pancake once. As long as you take that to heart, the rest of pancake cookery will follow. After that, you'll start experimenting with what you can add to the batter to make a unique treat. That's what happened to me.


Ingredients:
Pancake Mix (I'm partial to Hungry Jack brand myself, but use whatever you like)
Any Ingredients Your Mix Calls For (i.e. oil, water, milk, eggs, etc.)
3 Tablespoons of Nutella
2 Tablespoons of Butter

Steps/Analysis:
It doesn't get much simpler than this, folks. Basically, you'll want to follow the directions on the box of pancake mix to form a batter. Aim for 6-8 pancakes. Any more and you'll want to increase the Nutella to preserve the ratio.

Scoop the Nutella into a small, microwaveable bowl. Add the butter and zap for about a minute and a half. Stir until you have a smooth consistency that can be worked into your pancake batter. You may need to microwave it again, depending on your machine.

Pour the liquefied Nutella into the batter and combine with a whisk or a large spoon.

Set a griddle or a large pan on the stove over Medium heat. Grease it liberally with a pat of butter and ladle out your cakes.

When the edges of the pancakes seem to have firmed up and air bubbles are breaking the surface it's time to flip. Do so only once. You can peek at the underside, though, to make sure they're done when you think they are.

Remove the pancakes to a plate or serving platter and place in a just barely warm oven if it's going to be a while before serving.




Serving/Notes:
The Nutella flavor of the pancakes was much more subtle than I expected and the nuttiness comes out a lot more than the chocolate seemed to. They were quite delicious served up with more Nutella, whipped cream, and fresh fruit.

You'll notice that my pancakes are paired with french toast that a lovely breakfast assistant did up. I also think a bready breakfast should always be paired with a meat, turkey bacon in this case.

0 comments:

Gourmet Counter